Subject: Re: A policy for /var
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/28/2002 15:09:11
On Sun, 2002-07-28 at 10:42, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> Right, but conceptually, it would be a post-package target.

  Why is that?  Is there any requirement for wwwoffle to have a binary
package?

> Besides, there's already a post-install target.

  That's what I meant: what's wrong with putting the '${SH} INSTALL'
part there (maybe conditional to .ifndef(BATCH) if this is not desired
for bulk builds)?

> That's not the only use for it (the target). What I use the "finish"
> target in www/wwwoffle for, is to first make the portable package,
> then to fix-up the installed files. It could be ".ORDER"'d after
> "package", but not depend on "package", so "make install post-package"
> would do the right thing.

  Okay, so this means that the INSTALL script here actually changes the
installed files so they are no longer suitable to be placed in a binary
package?  Ouch.

  Hmm, looking at this some more, I can't really find anything like that
in the wwwoffle INSTALL script.  Nothing that gets modified by the
INSTALL script is PLISTed.  In fact, it shouldn't really matter whether
a package gets built before or after the INSTALL script gets executed.

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene