Subject: Re: pkg/17354
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/20/2002 11:58:20
On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 11:46:09AM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
> > I don't think it will be more than a few 100KB extra. I only wonder
> > if the binaries can get so big that they won't work because of
> > some BIOS restriction.
>
> What do you think about adding a new grub-diskless package, which
> contains all the specified options? Grub would still be a "standard"
> package, non-customizable, but we could have this new one -diskless
> which can be customized.

We still want to avoid customizable packages where possible. This approach
would only move the problem from one package to another.

> Or what about changing the package name depending on which network card
> you compile (in the diskless package)? That is, you want NE2000 and you
> compile grub with that option, then the package becomes
> grub-diskless-ne2000...

What happens when somebody wants NE2000, SMC9000 and VIA Rhine support?
Will it be "grub-diskless-ne2000-smc9000-via_rhine"?

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/