Subject: keeping pkgsrc up-to-date
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/02/2002 00:26:59
Ahoy!

The difficulty of keeping pkgsrc up-to-date doesn't leave me settle.
Grabbing the tarball each time suxx, and only gives weekly updates. CVS
suxx, is slow and redundant. Sup simply suxx.

As I see, daily pkgsrc changes are generated for the pkgsrc-changes list,
and sent to all the subscribers. Couldn't this or some similar thing be
used to keep in sync with less disk and network traffic? For example, some
script could be written to extract the files changed since the last day,
and update only those files. I'm sure this would be much lighter/faster
than a full CVS update for example.

A separate, special list could be made perhaps just for this, which would
post (possibly PGP-signed) emails containing the changes, and upon
receiving such a message (and after checking its authority), the system
could automatically update the altered files. Or the mail could even
contain the diffs themselves, if that wouldn't cause them to be too large.
The possibilities are endless.

Any thoughts?

mortee