Subject: Re: BUILD_DEPENDS on autoconf
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/30/2002 16:52:51
On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 11:43:06PM +0200, Alistair Crooks wrote:

> However, you have not answered the question.  The question I asked was
> why you want to force everyone to have Perl installed on their build
> machines just so that they can apply patches.

I can understand patching configure alone, since it could save the perl
requirement for building, but only on the condition that configure.in is
ALSO patched, and that there be an option to unconditionally regenerate
configure via autoconf/make.

part of the appeal of pkgsrc is that you are actually building from
source, and I believe that includes re-generating machine-generated
files when possible.