Subject: Re: BUILD_DEPENDS on autoconf
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/30/2002 12:19:28
[ On , May 30, 2002 at 12:53:05 (+0200), Johan Danielsson wrote: ]
> Subject: BUILD_DEPENDS on autoconf
>

> I think we should make this an error. It should be pretty easy for
> whoever makes changes to configure.in to also include a patch for
> configure.

To words:  NO WAY.  or:  Absolutely not.

Patches for generated files are very bad in all cases, especially for
"configure" scripts where the result will be enormous, and will be even
larger (perhaps and order of magnitude of percentage larger) for newer
versions of autoconf >= 2.52.

(and hand-hacked patches are right out of the question!)

--
								Greg A. Woods