Subject: Re: Zoularis (Solaris) patch?
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/29/2002 04:08:29
--0lnxQi9hkpPO77W3

hi christos,

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 01:07:36AM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> Yes, but hesitate to reply...

well, i was actually asking mlh.

> If someone posts patches, I'll integrate them, but I don't have the
> time to work on this myself.

what would be the reason, actually?  this way we can provide every
simple utility which is needed by pkgsrc in Zoularis soon (noone forces
anyone to install e.g. SUNWxcu4 or SUNWscpu packages either but they are
neccessary to use pkgsrc on Solaris).  SUNWgpch is just a package as
these two previous and it's required to use pkgsrc properly without much
tweaking.  if someone doesn't have there packages installed, he can't
use pkgsrc on Solaris box, so what's the point?  are we going to put all
these required tools into Zoularis?  i really don't see any reason since
there are utilities in Solaris itself which can be used and they work as
expected.

i use Zoularis/pkgsrc on several Solaris boxes and never had any problem
with making the pkgsrc work.  of course you need to have a little clue
about what you are doing, but i don't expect anyone completely clueless
to use pkgsrc on Solaris.  the only thing which is probably missing is a
simple note that packages SUNWxyz, ..., SUNWabcd, have to be installed
to use Zoularis/pkgsrc on Solaris box.  why would one want to store
these binaries twice when he has it already installed?  this is maybe
true for other packages which have their equivalents in pkgsrc and are
easier upgradeable/maintainable (like SFW* packages from Companion CD),
but it doesn't seem to be an excuse for the prerequisite packages as
SUNWscpu or SUNWgpch are (why don't we provide BSD-style echo in
Zoularis and depend on that one from SUNWscpu too? because it's already
there and it work and we don't want to have Zoularis bloated, i assume.)

apparently, there is a problem with mlh's setup somewhere but he has to
prove first that it's caused by /usr/ucb/install (as he didn't do)--i
checked SunSolve, there is no bug rearding to 'install' from SUNWscpu
for Solaris 8.

well, one reason why we would want to do that which comes to my mind is
when someone doesn't have installed possible patches for these utilities
which comes with Solaris and there lies a bug somewhere which prevents
Zoularis/pkgsrc from work but that would show somewhere else soon or
later anyway and it's only a proof that there is something wrong with an
admin..

just my comments.

regards,

--=20