Subject: Unnecessary dependencies in USE_SOCKS case
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/25/2002 13:34:02
Re pkg/17010: the buildlink.mk's in net/socks4 and net/socks5
introduce a DEPENDS on socks[45]. However, in the socks4 case, there
is no shared library, and in the socks5 case, we rarely use it. So
should they rather be a BUILD_DEPENDS? We can always add a DEPENDS to
packages that need it.

The quick fix wiz and I both suggested to the submitter of pkg/17010
is very wrong for pkgsrc -- to carry this to its logical conclusion,
we'd have to add bogus USE_SOCKS support to every package that might
depend on socks indirectly, including teTeX.

Frederick