Subject: Re: packages outside of /usr/pkg (was: Re: PROPOSAL: Move /usr/pkg/etc to /etc/pkg)
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/25/2002 15:17:24
> in var (for extra packages installed). For example, /var/www, /var/postgresql,
> /var/... I tend to put those things under /home, so I keep /var small.
>
> Is this "wrong"?

No, of course not. It's a matter of the useage pattern of your machine and
personal preferences.

On my machine I keep /var big and with lots of free space for incoming and
outgoing mails (and the logs, which typically have roughly the same overall
size once the machine has run under typical load for more than a week).

This space is reserved, i.e. users can not use it up by storing stupid things
there. They have their home directories for that, and if they end up filling
the /home partition, they'll have to arrange theirself between each other to
get the space freed up again. When this happens, the machine will still deliver
and receive mail without hickups.

On a personal machine many things are easier and some of this precautions are
not needed.

Martin