Subject: Re: packages outside of /usr/pkg (was: Re: PROPOSAL: Move /usr/pkg/etc to /etc/pkg)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/24/2002 17:22:14
--iFRdW5/EC4oqxDHL

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 11:04:06AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 02:37:25PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
>=20
> I think that it's been the norm for programs likd TeX to use /var for=20
> generated files like fonts for some time.=20
>=20
> I don't think I would want TeX putting files like that in /usr/pkg,
> that would wreck things for me.
>=20
[..]
>=20
> Let's at least talk about the pros and cons before cleaning out /var.

Yep, I agree with you. But I would prefer seeing packages using /var/pkg/*
instead of directly /var. At least, rpm uses /var/pkg/lib/rpm.

But for example, I don't think rpm information belongs to /var, as rpm
is not used "directly" in netbsd. The same happens with scrollkeeper; this
one uses prefix/var to store its information. If pkg tree has to be
shared across the network, it is good to have these kind of files too.

But not with tetex fonts...

Well, these are my feeling :p

Regards

--=20