Subject: Re: Problems with etc outside /usr/pkg
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/22/2002 16:27:22
On Wed, 22 May 2002, Julio Merino wrote:
> So, any idea about what to do? (maybe pkgsrc needs some fixes itself?)

I think pkg_create and pkg_add should be taught to handle files with
absolute paths in the +CONTENTS/PLIST files properly. That way, you could
write files relative to PREFIX as relative paths, and files for /etc as
absolute:

	bin/foo
	/etc/foo.conf

This requires some frobbing with the PUSHOUT() macro in add/extract.c and
something else in create/perform.c[*], but while there it would be a nice
way to replace the GNU tar dependency in there with pax (or a "normal" tar
that doesn't know about -C, esp. multiple ones).

Needless to say, I don't have time for that, but I'd be willing to review
patches.

 - Hubert

[*] create/perform.c is actually the culprit using multiple -C commands,
and worst is it's not even on the command line, but as stdin to "tar -T
-". I think the idea here is to tar up the whole thing in one go, which
you cannot do otherwise easily. Something like catenating tar-files would
seem appropriate there...

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html
Of course with your #1 IPv6 ready operating system -> http://www.NetBSD.org/