Subject: Re: About the location of TrueType fonts
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Rui-Xiang Guo <rxg@ms25.url.com.tw>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/22/2002 20:09:22
> I think we should consider about our ttf pkg's location of installation.
> I suggest to install them into new directory:
> /usr/pkg/share/fonts/TrueType/ (or truetype/, TTF/, ttf/ ?)
> For example, if someone wants to install ttf for ghostscript and he doesn't
> have X on his system, thus USE_X11BASE=yes will be pain to him.
> If we install ttf into /usr/pkg/share/fonts, then we can use these fonts well
> both with ghostscript and X.

Well, it looks like we should leave ttf in $X11PREFIX/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType.
We still need X to preview these ttf and ps files.
And the powerful fonts system - Fontconfig(or pango??) also need X.
They seem will be the standard of fonts management.(will be integrated with GS?)
To use ttf without X is a pain... sigh

-rxg