Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move /usr/pkg/etc to /etc/pkg
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/22/2002 01:58:09
> > Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2002/05/21/0012.html
> >
> > FWIW: I'd rather not see that as a default.  As Dave Burgess points out,
 [...]
> Julio explained that it's not possible for him to share /usr/pkg/etc
> between hosts, because his hosts need different configurations. What
> is so *nice* about that?

Check the message cited above.  Therein, he agreed that the existing
pkgsrc feature will probably do what he wanted, and suggested that it be
made the default.  (If the feature doesn't work, I'd try Dave's suggestion
of a symlink.  In fact, I'd try that *first*, since it doesn't require
rebuilding anything, nor does it require any maintenance of pkgsrc options
over time. )

I just don't think that scattering pkg stuff all over the filesystem
*by*default* is a good thing.