Subject: PROPOSAL: Move /usr/pkg/etc to /etc/pkg
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/21/2002 17:59:27
--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

Hello

I have started to share my /usr/pkg with another computer to use some
programs. One of them is samba... and I have several problems because
of having configuration files under /usr/pkg/etc.

First one is that I mount /usr/pkg read only, so I can't modify conf
files from the client machine. Second one is that I do not want to
share the same configuration over machines, and you know, some samba
config files are private (smbpasswd) so they mustn't be shared.

My proposal is the following: we would move /usr/pkg/etc to /etc/pkg
(or something like this); this way we have full control on client
machines and specific configuration is not shared.
We would maintain though some example configuration files under
/usr/pkg/share/examples (i.e. /usr/pkg/share/examples/samba)
so clients would copy the example on their own machines and then edit.

Apart from this, it would also be interesting that packages which
install something under /usr/pkg have a MESSAGE that said which they
have installed there.

What do you think of these?

Regards.

--=20