Subject: Re: Managing lots of installed packages, buildlink and versions
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Martin J. Laubach <mjl@maschndrohtzaun.emsi.priv.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/18/2002 23:23:02
|  So, am I missing something here?  Isn't buildlink making life a lot more
|  difficult than it has to be (not that the the concept of buildlink itself
|  is bad, I'm sure it has many advantages - I'm just talking about one of
|  the side effects here)?

  Yes it is. While one could argue that only "all of pkgsrc" is
to be considered working together, most of the time dependent
packages don't need the bleeding edge.

  I checked bsd.buildlink.mk, and the necessary functionality is
already present. Instead of just doing a

	.include "../../foo/bar/buildlink.mk"

  in some package's Makefile -- which will cause it to depend on the
version currently in pkgsrc -- all one needs is explicitely state the
dependency as BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.bar, eg.

	BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.bar=	bar>=1.8:../../foo/bar

	.include "../../foo/bar/buildlink.mk"

  So should we add those BUILDLINK_DEPENDS? I think those rampant
"must upgrade" situations are higly annoying...

	mjl