Subject: Re: Updating PLIST
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/16/2002 22:52:03
--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 10:31:34PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
> when updating a pkgsrc to a new version, how should I adjust the PLIST
> file to match new installed files (or removed)? Is it there any
> easy/common method?

if i understand correctly, you want "make print-PLIST"

from pkgsrc/Packages.txt:

[...]

 * Semi-automatic PLIST generation:
   You can use the "make print-PLIST" command to output a PLIST that matches
   any new files since the package was extracted. See below for more=20
   information on this target.

[...]

 * print-PLIST:
   After a 'make install' from a new or upgraded pkg, this prints out an
   attempt to generate a new PLIST from a 'find -newer work/.extract_done'.
   An attempt is made to care for shared libs etc., but it is STRONGLY
   recommended to review the result before putting it into PLIST. On
   upgrades, it's useful to diff the output of this command against an
   already existing PLIST file.
  =20
   If the package installs files via tar(1) or other methods that don't
   update file access times, be sure to add these files manually to your
   PLIST, as 'find -newer' won't catch them!

[...]

EOF

in general, Packages.txt and pkgsrc/mk/* is worth reading when you mean
it seriously with pkgsrc development.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=