Subject: Re: Emacs 21
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/26/2002 19:29:12
[ On , April 26, 2002 at 18:49:53 (+0200), Johan Danielsson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Emacs 21
>
> How do you get rid of the fringes?

Hmmm... I don't think you can.....

Why would you want to?  They take the place of using a backslash to
represent continuation of a folded line.  They can contain indications
of which window lines are after the end of a buffer's content (just like
the '~' in vi).

> > You really don't want 20.7 -- it's far too buggy to keep, especially
> > for a system that's trying to support such a wide variety of
> > platforms.
>
> What bugs are you referring to?

It crashes (mostly bugs in the storage allocator and garbage collector),
quite frequently on some platforms, and in doing so often causes the
saved session record to be trashed, and potentially can corrupt an
autosave file if it's writing to it when a crash occurs.

It can very easily corrupt multilinugal files.

There are many more listed in the NEWS file for more recent releases,
but those two are the ones I continually tripped over.  There were many
limitations and missing/incomplete features that I kept bumping into
too.

>  I'm only supporting one, and I don't
> care if other people use Emacs 99; I'll stick with 20 a while longer.

I meant that in the sense of including all readers, especially pkgsrc
maintainers....

though depending on what add-on packages you might use, supporting older
versions even for yourself will become increasingly more difficult.

--
								Greg A. Woods