Subject: Re: Compiler wrapper for USE_BUILDLINK_ONLY
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/15/2002 00:12:18
"Johnny C. Lam" <jlam@netbsd.org> wrote:

> There will also have to be wrappers for c++, gcc, g++, and ld, but that's
> pretty simple to arrange.  You're a better shell script writer than I am
> and your logic is more efficient than mine, so I'll steal this for the
> scripts I'm currently generating, though instead of just removing the bad
> paths, I convert them to point into ${BUILDLINK_DIR}.

Cool, that can't hurt and is also simpler to express in sed.

I tried to spike a generate-compiler-wrapper target into bsd.buildlink.mk,
just to see if it'd work, but some of the juju in there is way beyond me. I
have a ways to go to catch up with your "make" skillz. :-)

> This is my main worry with the compiler wrapper script.  Most of our platforms
> are slow, and pkgsrc isn't designed to be cross-built, so the penalties for
> using the wrapper scripts can be substantial.  I'll do some experiments on a
> mac68k at some point to get some real statistics on the penalties resulting
> from using the wrapper scripts.

Yeah, I circumrationalized this drawback too handily. I agree that we should
look at statistics from a slow machine before deciding to make pkgsrc work
this way.

- Amitai