Subject: Re: package building questions
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <klaus.heinz@onlinehome.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/09/2002 02:32:24
Hauke Fath wrote:
> At 22:50 Uhr +0200 5.4.2002, Klaus Heinz wrote:

  [should I use /var/spool/news/ ?]

> pkg/bsd.pkg.defaults defines 'INN_DATA_DIR?= /var/news'. Since your package
> will conflict with other newsserver packages anyway, it would probably make
> sense to generalize this to NEWS_DATA_DIR.

I can certainly use NEWS_DATA_DIR. But if other news server packages are
also supposed to use this, this has to be incorporated/changed in /etc/mk.conf.
Every package using NEWS_DATA_DIR will then have to have CONFLICTS lines
for the other packages, if I understand this correctly?

> >  - How am I supposed to deal with the runtime files and directories
> >    leafnode created when the package is removed ?
>
> Again, look at the INN package. It installs all the config files in
> share/examples/inn first, and then copies them over to ${INN_DATA_DIR} only
> if that does not already exist.

Ok, I will add a DEINSTALL script for leafnode and display a warning message
to delete the content of NEWS_DATA_DIR manually if needed.
This reminds me a bit of MS-Windows where deinstallation also often leaves
bits and pieces behind :-). At least we will tell the user, what to do.

  [automatic crontab entry and inetd.conf change or use MESSAGE ?]

> The latter, I suppose.

This could become a lengthy MESSAGE file, because I have to tell the user
a few other things (create config file, read DOC file), too.

ciao
     Klaus