Subject: Re: Fetch distfile to different local filename
To: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/04/2002 00:29:03
On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Amitai Schlair wrote:

> "Amitai Schlair" <schmonz@schmonz.com> wrote:
>
> > This does exactly what I expect -- downloads the man page into
> > ${DIST_SUBDIR} -- but unlike the binaries, there's only one man page,
> > and it seems wasteful (and confusing) to have nine distinfo entries for
> > one file simply because it could wind up in one of nine places.

But no one would have to download more than one file, and you could
set up hard links on ftp.netbsd.org so the one file would be available
to every platform in whatever directory they require.

> I couldn't think of any other way around it, so I made a quick change to
> bsd.pkg.mk:
>
> http://netbsd.schmonz.com/patches/fetch-distfile-local-filename.diff
>
> This lets a package say, for example,
>
> DISTFILE_LOCAL.remotename.tar.gz= localname.tar.gz
>
> ...which keeps my Perforce package sane. I'm quite surprised that there
> hasn't already been some package that needed to be able to do this!

...but yet there has not, so why not just override the do-fetch target
in the package "Makefile"? If the idea turns out to have applicability
to other packages, then it's time to think about putting it in
bsd.pkg.mk.

Frederick