Subject: Re: Case-insensitive filesystems
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/16/2002 23:06:37
On Wednesday, January 16, 2002, at 05:13 PM, Alistair Crooks wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 11:52:32AM -0500, Amitai Schlair wrote:
>> Just bootstrapped pkgsrc on Darwin 5.2 (Mac OS X 10.1.2). Cool stuff!
>> It's not yet as smooth a user experience as pkgsrc on NetBSD, but it's
>> really promising.
>
> Good news! Well done - which bootstrap kit did you use?

darwin-bootstrap-20011221.tar.gz (the list archive led me to it).

> Is there any way to convert from HFS+ to FFS?

Not that I know of. Also, the OS X install documentation says something
to the effect of "Use HFS+ unless you think you know you need FFS",
which means lots of people will use HFS+. :-)

> What happens to the devel/cvs (package) directory?

I looked further, and that directory doesn't exist!

% pwd
/usr/src/pkg/devel
% ls | grep -i '^CVS$'
CVS
% ls CVS
CVS          Entries      MESSAGE      PLIST        Repository   distinfo
DESCR        Entries.Log  Makefile     README.html  Root         patches

Looks like devel/CVS (metadata) got extracted first, and then devel/cvs
(package) got extracted into the same directory because it seemed like
the right name. Ha ha, we're in wacky HFS+ Land!

- Amitai