Subject: Changes to package system (was: Eval: New package qt3-3.0.1)
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/10/2002 05:22:24
Thus spake Frederick Bruckman
> By the way, the one thing that bugs me the most about multiple
> packages from one monster distfile, is that usually the whole distfile
> gets extracted. For an "average" machine, that really raises the bar.
> I wish more of those breakout packages would set ${EXTRACT_ELEMENTS}
> to just get the parts they need.

That could be tricky to maintain.  What I was wondering was how hard would
it be to create a common extract place.  That way you can at least extract
it once when building a number of the packages at the same time.

While we are talking about changes we would like I was also wondering
if we could change the update sequence from delete=>build=>install to
build=>delete=>install.  It's bad enough that the package is gone
while doing a long build but even worse is when the build fails for
some reason and you are left with no package and not even a way to go
back a version without a lot of pain.