Subject: Re: updating emacs Q
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/20/2001 20:44:23
[ On Thursday, December 20, 2001 at 19:07:04 (-0500), Andrew Brown wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: updating emacs Q
>
> >> i have a emacs 21.1 package here, but I'd also like to keep an emacs 20.x
> >> package (it's much smaller, different look & feel, etc.). Can someone
> >> please confirm that this is the right thing to do:
> >>
> >>  * move pkgsrc/editors/emacs to pkgsrc/editors/emacs20
> >>  * then import new package as editors/emacs?
> >
> >How many people really need emacs20?
>
> i think it's an issue of "want", not "need".

Well, OK, how many still want emacs20?  21 is much more reliable than
even a patched 20.7, and it is for the most part backwards compatible.

(If I'm not mistaken they can be installed simultaneously in the same
--prefix, except perhaps for the collsion in the info dir file entry,
though that'd obviously be a bug in the distribution, not in pkgrsc.)

I haven't intentionally used emacs-20.7 for prehaps over a year now....   :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods