Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/sysutils/fileutils
To: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/19/2001 11:56:03
On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 07:02:49PM +0000, Nick Hudson wrote:

> I think the definition of AUTOMAKE_PATTERNS is too generic and should be
> changed to something like
>
> AUTOMAKE_PATTERNS+=     *.m4
> AUTOMAKE_PATTERNS+=     Makefile.in configure.in
> AUTOMAKE_PATTERNS+=     ${CONFIGURE_SCRIPT:T}

I think it should be:

AUTOMAKE_PATTERNS+=	configure.in
AUTOMAKE_PATTERNS+=	aclocal.m4
AUTOMAKE_PATTERNS+=	stamp-h.in config.h.in stamp-h
AUTOMAKE_PATTERSN+=	Makefile.in
AUTOMAKE_PATTERNS+=	${CONFIGURE_SCRIPT:T}

The rationale is:

	* configure.in might be generated from configure.in.in,
	* aclocal.m4 is generated by aclocal from acinclude.m4 and
	  configure.in,
	* stamp-h.in is the automake timestamp file for config.h.in,
	* config.h.in is generated by autoheader from configure.in
	* stamp-h is the automake timestamp file for config.h
	* Makefile.in is generated from Makefile.am,
	* the configure script is generated by autoconf from configure.in,
	  aclocal.m4, and various other *.m4 files.

Touching all of the *.m4 files was definitely overkill on my part as only
aclocal.m4 is generated by the GNU auto* tools (aclocal, in this case).

We need some test cases to check whether this is correct.  I suggest:

	sysutils/fileutils
	x11/kde2
	x11/lesstif

	Cheers,