Subject: Re: use of BULK_PREREQ
To: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/09/2001 10:23:19
On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Brook Milligan wrote:

>    this may be a bug.  I'll try and find some time to take a look.
>
> I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, but the behavior of the bulk build
> scripts can be recovered by including the following in /etc/mk.conf:
>
> USE_BULK_CACHE?=        yes

you don't want to do that unless you're 100% sure the cache files are up
to date.  That is a very expensive operation which is only done during a
full bulk build.

> This variable is set by the bulk build scripts prior to running make.
and those scripts also build the caches.

> The effect is to trigger a conditional that installs all the required
> binary packages.  Without this, it appears that no BULK_PREREQ
> packages are installed (I think I was wrong when I said earlier that
> digest was installed).
digest gets installed through a different mechanism.

> Two things to consider:
>
> - should BULK_PREREQ packages be installed whenever the bulk-package
>   target is invoked, not just when USE_BULK_CACHE is defined?

yes.  I'll try and get it fixed.

> - should Packages.txt document this variable?

yes.  Actually I think it does in the bulk build section.

-Dan