Subject: Re: X11 packages
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/01/2001 19:25:21
    Date:        Fri, 30 Nov 2001 05:52:50 -0800
    From:        Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>

  | I'm trying to get more people to use xpkgwedge, so that it
  | can become our default method of installation.

I used xpkgwedge for my latest install from zero (before I had intended
to, but never remembered before I had too much installed to consider
going back and starting again...).  This time I made /usr (incl /usr/X11R6)
read only, to force myself to keep it pristine (I'll deal with xdm later).

It would probably be a good idea to make it impossible to install xpkgwedge
after X pkgs have been installed, and impossible to remove it if any X
pkgs remain installed.   The latter just means making every X application
(that needs xpgkwedge facilities, other than just the change of install
location, which is most of them) have an explicit dependency on xpkgwedge.

For the former, perhaps the xpkgwedge buildlink could test if xpkgwedge
is installed (which it does now), and if not, then build and install
something called xpkgwedge-fake, which is nothing at all (other than an
entry in the pkgdb) - but which conflicts with xpkgwedge.   Then to install
xpkgwedge, xpkgwedge-fake would need to be deleted, but all those X apps
would now have a dependency on xpkgwedge-fake embedded in them, so it would
be obvious that they have to be removed and reinstalled.

I don't know if this is enough to guarantee that the packages actually get
recompiled though - does the pkg dependency system cope with that, or if the
work files are all still around, would a new "make install" just use them
and reinstall ?

Doing this, I have come across a number of things that are broken, which I
suspect are xpkgwedge related (that is, the pkg isn't coping).
Many are games ...

xmris wants its score file in X11R6 somewhere
xmahjongg can't find its tiles - I did a ktrace to see if I could see
where it was looking, and failed to see anything at all...  but I have never
had that problem without xpkgwedge
xfig can't find its app-defaults file

And at the minute I don't recall what else there was - but overall it has
all worked very well.    Thanks for the work.

kre