Subject: Re: Adding 'See Also' information to pkgs
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Anthony Mallet <anthony.mallet@useless-ficus.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/28/2001 01:37:02
Hubert Feyrer wrote :
| We have our pkgs grouped in categories for a reason. :-)

Yup, I got that :)
I was just feeling like categories were not 'precise' enough. As of now,
categories are great when you _do know_ what you are looking for. When
you don't, it's hard to find a list of (netbsd) packages that could
do what you're looking for.
And moreover, when you've found one package, you're not necessarily aware
of other packages that do the same or could be better suited to your
tasks. I think this is getting more and more true with the growth of the
package system.

| Besdes that, I see no reason for making a software index - please use
| existing projects like Freshmeat for that.

The reason: build a user-friendly package system. "Looking for something?
Just browse our pkgsrc tree. Everything is inside."

Just a matter of "too much entropy" vs. "not enough information"...
The limit is hard to find :)