Subject: Re: IMPORTANT user-visible change to pkgsrc related to config files
To: Tomasz Luchowski <zuntum@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/25/2001 18:39:07
I think I wasn't clear enough when I said I wanted the full package name,
see the way I'm getting the info from Makefile is by simply extracting the
line, so if I just pulled PKGNAME, I would end up with things like this:
perl-${PERL5_VERS}

What I need is the full name (perl-5.6.1nb6), and I would love it if there
were a way for me to get that out of the Makefile without having to call any
intervening programs. I can already get the package name easily out of
/var/db/pkg/*, but comparing it to the version in the pkgsrc directories is
where it's getting to be difficult. That's why I asked if it would be
feasable to have something in the Makefile set to the whole name, ie
perl-5.6.1nb6.

Note that I haven't previously messed with any of the internals of how
pkgsrc does what it does, so I don't really know what I'm doing if it's
anything more involved than getting a string out of the Makefile ;)

A thought I just had, though, is that it would be nice for another reason:
currently, the package name seems to get made from PKGNAME, then appending
PERL5_VERS to it, then appending PERL5_PKG_VERS: Wouldn't it be better to
just set the name once and for all in the Makefile, and not having to
include values of other variables to get it? :-)

--
/~\ The ASCII                       Sean Davis
\ / Ribbon Campaign                 aka dive-o