Subject: Re: ups-nut rc.d scripts
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/21/2001 15:52:15
On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 08:45:20PM -0800, Johnny Lam wrote:
> > On another note, I don't believe that package installs should put stuff
> > in /etc/rc.d. I strongly prefer that package rc.d scripts install into
> > /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d, and then reminding the admin to manually install the
> > rc.d scripts into /etc/rc.d.
>
> I was thinking of copying them only if they respect the /etc/rc.conf settings,
> and perhaps reminding the admin to set the proper variables in /etc/rc.conf.
> Even if nothing is set in /etc/rc.conf, the rc.d script won't start the
> package daemons unless the rcvar is set to YES.  This satisfies the principle
> of least surprise, as the installed package daemons don't run unless the
> admin does the step of adding the right settings to /etc.rc.conf, but doing
> it this way makes it so there is just one stop fewer that the admin must do.
> Or think of it as one fewer step that sysinst or sushi must do.

Again, I disagree.

For example, I have my own samba and squid startup scripts because I
think that the ones in pkgsrc have too much pre-rc.d cruft in them, or
they're broken (for me) in other ways.

Under *NO* circumstance do I want my scripts in /etc/rc.d overwritten
when I install or update a package. I'm happy to manually manage user
accounts.

(BTW: This is part of the same argument I had against packages deleting
users upon deinstall; it affects the careful construction of my
systems :)

Luke.