Subject: Re: dependency issues
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/11/2001 00:42:08
On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 02:32:16AM -0500, James Chacon wrote:

> A make update should remake everything for the package, right? dependencies
> and all? Least that's my expectation from Packages.txt:
>
> The package and all depending packages first get de-installed,
> then current versions of the corresponding packages get compiled and
> installed.
>
> The problem here is gmake is a dependency for t1lib but it wasn't getting
> deinstalled/reinstalled with the rest.

This does look like a bug in the implementation of "make update".  We don't
track the dependencies used at build-time in the installed package info, so
the only way to find all the necessary build dependencies for a package is
to recursively walk the tree of dependencies.  This is would be very slow
for packages with lots of dependencies.  I think this problem is worthy of
a PR as "make update" doesn't work as advertised in Packages.txt, and the
right solution is non-obvious.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>