Subject: Re: dependency issues
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/10/2001 23:27:51
On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 01:33:41AM -0500, James Chacon wrote:
> Is there some reason that items which use gmake to build shouldn't also have
> a dependency on them?

Packages that require GNU make to build properly should already have a build
dependency on gmake that is added by setting USE_GMAKE.

> I updated my system and nuked old libs (I clean it every once in a while).
> Rebuilding pkgsrc stuff is relatively painless so far. Something breaks, cd
> to it's srcdir and do "make update". But..the first thing that used gmake
> (which was depending on an older libutil) stopped dead in it's tracks and
> was very non-obvious that it was gmake that was the issue (took a ktrace to
> figure out what was going on).

I'm not sure I understand the problem you're describing.  You say you removed
a shared library from the system that was required by gmake?  And then you
got an error when you ran gmake?  If this is the case, then I don't think
it's a pkgsrc problem, or even something that we can work around.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>