Subject: Re: running (DE)INSTALL scripts vs. noexec mounted /var
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/10/2001 02:08:14
On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	I think we should really move PKGDBDIR under PREFIX - it should
> 	never have been under /var/db in the first place.
>
> 	Maybe a new version of the pkgtools which would automatically
> 	detect an old installation, copy the db across to a tmpdir under
> 	PREFIX, then if all OK rename to the new location, and rename away
> 	the old. Then we bump PKGTOOLS_REQD :)

Yeah, right. And what solution do you propose for having multiple pkg DBs?
/usr/pkg, /usr/X11R6, /usr/pkg/cross, etc.?

Things like (the core of) pkg_info etc. need to be adjusted to
"know" where to look for stuff.

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html