Subject: Re: removing BUILD_ROOT?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/16/2001 11:40:37
On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 02:44:46AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> I wonder if we should remove the BUILD_ROOT variable, and replace it with
> PKGSRCDIR everywhere?
>
> Doing a quick grep over pkgsrc/*/*/Makefile* shows this should work
> (except for math/p5-Math-Pari, which thinks it can reach the pkgsrc dir
> with BUILD_ROOT, which does NOT work if one has WRKOBJDIR set - which I
> have).
>
> Does anyone remember what that variable was intended for? :)
>

>  - Hubert
>
> --
> Want to get a clue on IPv6 but don't know where to start? Try this:
> * Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
> * Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html
> Of course with your #1 IPv6 ready operating system -> http://www.NetBSD.org/

We used to use BUILD_ROOT as a way of referring to the root of the
pkgsrc tree, whether or not WRKOBJDIR were being used. It was used
in the 9term and ghostscript packages, IIRC, to reach over into the
sam and jpeg packages. All bsd.pkg.mk has in its log is this:

revision 1.231
date: 1999/03/22 09:38:22;  author: agc;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -1
Move the definition of BUILD_ROOT into bsd.pkg.mk, from the individual
package Makefiles which need it.

It should be changed to use PKGSRCDIR.

Thanks,
Al