Subject: Re: Please review: perl patch to make mod_perl.so more painless
To: David Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/01/2001 22:02:52
On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 06:25:56PM -0500, David Burgess wrote:

> The results of a pkg_info -a yields the following:
>
> apache-1.3.20       HTTP (Web) server
> perl-5.6.1nb3       Practical Extraction and Report Language
> libperl-5.6.1       Perl DynaLoader as a shared object
> p5-BSD-Resource-1.10 BSD::Resource - Perl interface to BSD process
> resources library
> ap-perl-1.26        Module that embeds a Perl interpreter into Apache

This is possibly the culprit.  I believe ap-perl in pkgsrc is only at
version 1.25.  I've not updated the ap-perl package because I absolutely
could not get httpd to run if the mod_perl.so from ap-perl-1.26 was
loaded in the config file.  I've not tracked down why this is yet, or
if I even have the know-how to do the tracking in the first place.

> Here is the pertinent component of the apache.conf file:
>
> # Note: The order in which modules are loaded is important.  Don't
> change
> # the order below without expert advice.
> #
> # Example:
> # LoadModule foo_module lib/httpd/mod_foo.so
>
> <IfDefine SSL>
> LoadModule ssl_module lib/httpd/mod_ssl.so
> AddModule mod_ssl.c
> </IfDefine>
>
> <IfDefine PERL>
>   LoadModule perl_module lib/httpd/mod_perl.so
>   AddModule mod_perl.c
>   <Files ~ "\.pl$">
>     PerlHandler         Apache::Registry
>     PerlSendHeader      On
>     SetHandler          perl-script
>     Options             +ExecCGI
>   </Files>
> </IfDefine>

All this looks fine.  If you could try your experiment again with
ap-perl-1.25 and share your results again, I would be very grateful.

	Thanks,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>