Subject: Re: configure.in patches in a pkg
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/20/2001 09:15:28
On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Thursday, September 20, 2001 at 01:07:50 (-0500), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: configure.in patches in a pkg
> >
> > It will, because that's what configure does. It sources config.cache,
> > then always tests those ac_cv_* things before even running the
> > particular configure test that would set them.
>
> Yes, but not every configure.in uses only tests that honour ac_cv_*
> settings, or deal with them properly, and therein lies the problem.
> Indeed in some cases this very problem resides in the broken tests which
> we currently have to patch around.

Nonsense. Have you ever looked at a configure script?

> I think you misunderstand.  I don't mean having one CONFIG_SITE file for
> a given target system, or even just one for all packages -- rather I
> mean having a specific CONFIG_SITE file created for every package (that
> uses autoconf).

CONFIG_SITE files look like config.cache files look like "ac_cv_...=".
It's the same thing. At first, I did use a separate file, and then I
tried creating a "config.cache" file with a target in the package
Makefile, and then I finally realized all you have to do is export the
test results (that you want to force) to configure's environment.

Frederick