Subject: Re: configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Weber (by way of Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/22/2001 18:26:12
> By the way, similar problem in textproc/dict-client. It depends on a lib
> named libmaa, which seemingly only gets built for dict itself. When
> configuring for it it stumbles into the same error. A solution is to go
> work/dictd-1.4.9 and run ./configure and gmake there from hand. Then you
> can't install the package from textproc/dict-client though, because a make
> install starts triggering configure again .. of course a gmake install
> works fine in textproc/dict-client/work/dictd-1.4.9 but that's skipping
> package entries in the pkg db.
>
> Martin Weber

Ah due to a hint of Manuel Bouyer I checked into the config.log in the
/usr/pkgsrc/textproc/dict-client/work/dictd-1.4.9/libmaa directory:

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:590: checking host system type
configure:613: checking for gcc
configure:690: checking whether the C compiler (cc -g  -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib
-L/usr/pkg/lib -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib) works
configure:704: cc -o conftest -g   -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib
-Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib conftest.c  -Llibmaa -lmaa -lz 1>&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open -lmaa: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 700 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
main(){return(0);}

I'm no configure/Makefile tweaker ;) So I hope you can use the provided
information to fix the problem.

FWIW: I think the libmaa is only used during compile, I can't find any
installed or mentioned in dict-[server|client]/pkg/PLIST files. As I see it
the configure program tries to use libmaa (-lmaa) although it's not yet built
(It would be build during (g)make all)

Martin Weber