Subject: Re: 'make fetch' and partial downloads
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/19/2001 21:36:27
On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 11:17:51AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	If 'make fetch' fails part way through a download we are left with
> 	a partial file which breaks the checksum and has to be manually
> 	removed before continuing.
>
> 	What do people think about changing the 'make fetch' target to
> 	download to a temporary file and rename after download is
> 	complete? Would we want to use a fixed name per distfile
> 	(eg: ${distfile}.downloading)?

I'm all for it. I occasionally run a global 'make fetch' to have a
self-contained pkgsrc (it still fits on a DVD :) but some packages are
brocken occasionally because of partial fetches.
With such a change I could run several 'make fetch' to check that all distfiles
are properly downloaded.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>