Subject: Re: Please stop change logs in CVS commit messages
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/12/2001 19:04:03
On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Thursday, July 12, 2001 at 15:32:40 (-0500), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: Please stop change logs in CVS commit messages
> >
> > doc/pkg-CHANGES consists of one-liners with a tightly specified form.
> > All changes to this file are necessarily trivial. It doesn't seem
> > right, to me, to put detailed commit messages on this file, especially
> > since all the information is available in the packages own commit
> > logs, where you would expect to find it.
>
> I know what the contents of doc/pkg-CHANGES looks like -- thats why I
> suggested its commits could be done programmatically.

I have no idea what that means. You asked for a whole bunch of stuff
to go into those commit messages, and that's all I'm objecting to.

> But the log messages go to many people, more I suspect than are
> interested in the nitty-gritty details of pkgsrc-current.  Either they
> should be made useful as I've described, or they should be moved to
> pkgsrc-changes so their lack of usefullness doesn't annoy and frustrate
> non-pkgsrc-current users.

The commit log for that file is going to be silly, no matter how you
look at it. Either you duplicate half of the information in the commit
logs for the entire tree (dumb), or you repeat the information in the
change (just silly). Maybe we should split out netbsd-doc-changes?

Frederick