Subject: Re: Please stop change logs in CVS commit messages
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/12/2001 18:19:12
[ On Thursday, July 12, 2001 at 15:32:40 (-0500), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Please stop change logs in CVS commit messages
>
> doc/pkg-CHANGES consists of one-liners with a tightly specified form.
> All changes to this file are necessarily trivial. It doesn't seem
> right, to me, to put detailed commit messages on this file, especially
> since all the information is available in the packages own commit
> logs, where you would expect to find it.

I know what the contents of doc/pkg-CHANGES looks like -- thats why I
suggested its commits could be done programmatically.

But the log messages go to many people, more I suspect than are
interested in the nitty-gritty details of pkgsrc-current.  Either they
should be made useful as I've described, or they should be moved to
pkgsrc-changes so their lack of usefullness doesn't annoy and frustrate
non-pkgsrc-current users.

--
							Greg A. Woods