Subject: Re: Please stop change logs in CVS commit messages
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/11/2001 17:46:26
On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 08:55:12AM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> >> This practice of committing with changelogs has got to stop.  People have
> >> asked why I think it's a stupid idea and have "suggested" that I do so in my
> >> commits, and I'm continuing to refuse to do so.  Attached you'll find a
> >> perfect counterexample that shows how unreasonable this policy is.
>
> 	for pkgsrc commits, i was asked to attach ChangeLog fragment onto
> 	commit log, not the summary (A LOT of times, mainly when i felt it too
> 	much to attach).
> 	i totally agree with Todd, it has to stop (less than 5-line summary
> 	is enough).
>
> itojun

I have always asked people to attach a summary of the changes between the
old version and the new version. I do not want full changelogs in the CVS
commit log. I do not want URLs in the CVS commit log - they are transient.

If a developer feels that a package needs to be upgraded, then there must
be a reason for it. I'd like a succinct precis of that reasoning to be in
the CVS commit log.

Thanks,
Al