Subject: Re: Please stop change logs in CVS commit messages
To: David Burgess <burgess@mitre.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/10/2001 15:09:07
On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, David Burgess wrote:

: A CVS update like "Fixed a bunch of broken stuff" is insufficient.
: A rambling, chatty-cathy description of every line of changed code is
: too much.  There has got to be a happy summary limit in there someplace.

Which would be fine, provided we define a proper commit log format.  But a
lot of commits have been just of raw ChangeLogs or READMEs, not necessarily
as long as the example I provided, but just as annoyingly useless.

"A summary of the changes" (not specifically defined) isn't really useful as
a requirement for the pkgsrc commits.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/