Subject: Re: make update and buildlink
To: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/06/2001 13:39:57
On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Dr. Rene Hexel wrote:

> David Brownlee wrote:
>
> >         If this is the case (or when this is the case :), would it make
> >         sense to change the behaviour of 'make update' to perform a 'make'
> >         before the 'pkg_delete -r'? This would reduce the time a machine
>
>   This helps you only for the first package, of course.  So if you
> update "pth", for example, and have 80+ packages that depend on it,
> you'd still end up with 79+ deleted packages before the build of the
> dependent packages has started.  Unfortunately, I don't see much of a
> chance of changing this.  You do have to build the dependent packages
> with the updated package installed, otherwise you'd get into trouble
> if major library versions or other significant files change.

	The only real solution there is to use binary packages - if you
	have a build machine that can afford to be broken occasionally
	then you can build the binary packages there and then use them
	to update any other hosts. Ideally pkgchk should be able to
	help with this, but not yet :)

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --