Subject: Re: Locations of some packages baffles me
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/28/2001 18:37:44
[ On Thursday, June 28, 2001 at 13:26:14 (-0500), John Darrow wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Locations of some packages baffles me
>
> Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com> wrote:
> >
> >Okay, I didn't realise that xpkgwedge was an issue in this.  All I knew
> >was that if we were going to mix X11 stuff in ${LOCALBASE}, why have
> >${LOCALBASE} at all?
>
> Try turning that around:
>
> If we're going to mix stuff that just happens to use x11 libraries but
> comes from pkgsrc, with the X11 system itself that comes from /usr/xsrc,
> then why have LOCALBASE at all?  Why not just mix "non-x11" pkgsrc stuff
> into /usr/bin with the rest of the system binaries?

Both of you are completely missing the point, entirely!

If you don't want to mix pkgsrc stuff with system stuff then you
definitely do not want to mix x11-related stuff from pkgsrc into
/usr/X11*!  To do so is to be a hypocrite -- you may as well not have
${LOCALBASE} indeed, but for entirely the opposite reasons you've both
tried to suggest.

> That way lies madness.  (or Linux.)

And that's absolutely not true (and linking the mere idea to "Linux" is
just evil F.U.D. spreading)

> Frankly... I think that separating the packages into two categories
> (X11BASE and non-X11BASE) was a bad idea in the first place, and that
> it's even necessary to use something like xpkgwedge to get them back
> together the way they should be is sad...

Now that I cannot disagree with.  I can explain it though, but the
explanation is, unfortunately, even more sad:  imake.

In the end the whole concept of ${anythingBASE} is completely and
totally bogus in the face of a proper package management system
(i.e. what we have almost already got).

Other than the fact that a single bin directory starts to get quite
large, there's absolutely no reason why everything shouldn't be
installed in *ONE* consistent hierarchy.

All we're missing, in NetBSD, is the proper pakaging for the base
system (including the X11 bits).

--
							Greg A. Woods