Subject: Re: Can someone explain about packages?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org, uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
From: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/19/2001 06:40:57
On Mon Jun 18, 2001 Masao Uebayashi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > I just built/installed Netscape's Communicator for Linux, and all appears to
> > be working.
>
> Congraturations!
>
> > Can someone explain what detemines what parts of a package land in
> > /usr/pkg/bin(sbin) and what would land in /usr/pkg/emul/linux/...???
>
> Linux biraries are supposed to be installed under /emul/linux. You can
> see where package's files installed by 'pkg_info -f <package
> name>'. See pkg_info(1) manual page for more details.

That was my understanding as well.

> > I'm very confused. The build put this small (<1K) file called
> > communicator-4.77 in /usr/pkg/bin, and it must jumpstart a larger
> > application (netscape,) but I can't seem to find it.
>
> I guess it's a shell script setting proper environmental variables and
> invoking the netscape binary.

You're right, that's exactly what it does.

I ran pkg_info -f on communicator-4.77 and found that everything landed in
/usr/pkg/lib/netscape. I'm just curious, why didn't this end up in /emul/Linux
somewhere? Is it not considered a Linux binary??

Gerry Simmons
simmons@darykon.cet.com