Subject: pkg and rc.d
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Mario Kemper <magick@zhadum.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/16/2001 19:42:29
        Hi,

after my last update of several packages i noticed, that some of the old-style
start scripts turned into rc.d-style scripts. My first thought was cool,
put some links into /etc/rc.d and be done.
After a reboot i realized that this wouldn't work as /usr isn't mounted when
rcorder is started. Copying the scripts helped, but i don't like this as the
scripts don't get removed/updatet when the package is removed/updated.

Wouldn't a simple rc.d script (e.g. PKG) do, that is called after /usr/ is
mounted and simply calls rcorder in /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d and executes the
scripts?

I remember that there was a thread about this and that there were some
objections against this approach but i lost it.
As currently all packages reside in /usr/pkg or /usr/X11R6 and thus have to
be started after /usr was mounted this would at least work.

Or am i missing something?
--
Mario Kemper
magick@bundy.zhadum.de