Subject: Re: hidden dependencies, Act II
To: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/14/2001 14:17:31
"Dr. Rene Hexel" <rh@vip.at> writes:

> "Johnny C. Lam" wrote:
> > Is my analysis correct, or did I miss an obvious way to write a simple
> > config.cache generator script?
>
>   Another possibility would be a two-pass "configure" procedure: in the
> first pass, the GNU configure script writes its config.cache file, which
> then gets modified by a script such that only
> "ac_cv_lib_whatever_main=no"/"ac_cv_header_whatever_h=no" entries
> remain.  This could either be done every time a package is build, or
> explicitly by the package maintainer (i.e., we could distribute such a
> generated config.cache with the package).

I've seen many configure scripts that conditionally set certain
ac_cv_* values depending on whether other libraries were found or not.
This would mean that the configure script would write out a different
config.cache file depending on what's installed, which is the same
problem we were initially trying to solve, so I think this approach is
won't work.

	Cheers,

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/