Subject: Re: hidden dependencies, Act II
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/14/2001 14:07:20
[ On Thursday, June 14, 2001 at 19:17:17 (+0200), Dr. Rene Hexel wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: hidden dependencies, Act II
>
>   Another possibility would be a two-pass "configure" procedure: in the
> first pass, the GNU configure script writes its config.cache file, which
> then gets modified by a script such that only
> "ac_cv_lib_whatever_main=no"/"ac_cv_header_whatever_h=no" entries
> remain.  This could either be done every time a package is build, or
> explicitly by the package maintainer (i.e., we could distribute such a
> generated config.cache with the package).

I was thinking about this too.  It should work for all packages that use
GNU Autoconf "properly".  I'm not so sure about some of the more
innovative ones that might be pushing the autoconf envelope though.
Examples that might qualify as doing so could be Amanda and maybe screen.

(I like the idea of doing it every time -- that way re-autoconf'ing the
package would stand a better chance of working.)

--
							Greg A. Woods