Subject: Re: Can't "make" in devel/smpeg (and how to troubleshoot?)
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/01/2001 08:25:25
On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> >
> > there was a conflict in the cvs update, and it has put the
> >
> > <<<<<<<
> > =======
> > >>>>>>>

> Oh, I see that I was looking in the wrong place! You are right -- it was a
> cvs update conflict (for the SDL Makefile). I didn't notice it in the
> output from the "make -d A", because it was so large and I had no clue
> where to start looking.

For what it's worth, I always do my global updates like this:

 	cvs update -A > /var/tmp/pkgsrc.cvs.log &

and then when it's done (or while it's still running in another
window), do a /^[?CM] in "less /var/tmp/pkgsrc.cvs.log", to see what
needs to be promptly edited, or deleted. Notice that the line above
only saves standard output, as while the standard error provides a
nice progress report, there's nothing in there worth keeping.

Frederick