Subject: Re: install and update together
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/30/2001 18:17:35
Quoting Ignatios Souvatzis (28-May-01 09:14:59):

> On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 10:08:52AM +0100, Georges Heinesch wrote:

>> make update is not possible since pkglint was never installed
>> before.

> Yes it is. Just try it, you'll like it.

Does this mean that if a package which is not installed yet (like
pkglint in my example) and which depends on other poackages which
require an update (like perl-mk here), it's the best way to say "make
update".

In this case I would say that it's better to always say "make update",
since you can't know forehand (before the installation) whether the
package depends on existing packages which do require an update.

Correct?

I kept on twisting my brain with this problem, but I couldn't find any
suitable way to solve it; neither did I find any docs explaining how
to proceed. I'm sure I'm not the first one who steps into this.

Problem summary: How shall I install a package A (not yet installed),
which depends on a package B (installed), if this package B requires
an update?

TIA

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei@geohei.lu

... don't do anything, I wouldn't do ...