Subject: Re: About fake^WStaged installations
To: Dan Winship <danw@ximian.com>
From: Marc Espie <espie@schutzenberger.liafa.jussieu.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/30/2001 18:56:13
On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 09:16:12PM +0500, Dan Winship wrote:
> > - DESTDIR is normally used for this kind of stunt. There's more to FAKE
> > than meet the eyes. In reality, recent GNU stuff, for instance, heeds
> > DESTDIR.
>
> Mostly. Automake throws in DESTDIR support for free, but gettextize
> doesn't. So most recent GNU stuff will obey DESTDIR for everything
> except the translated strings files. And in fact, comparing
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/devel/bison/pkg/PLIST?rev=1.3&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
>
> and
>
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/devel/bison/pkg/PLIST?rev=1.6&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
>
> shows that OpenBSD appears to be dropping the .mo files.

Nope, our ports is still bison-1.27. And there is no i18n stuff in that
version.

If you look further, you'll notice that most ports that use gettext
have some kind of patch to fix that issue.

There's even a few messages of mine a while back (I won't look back) on
the OpenBSD lists, ranting about the mess of having roughly 16 distinct
Makefile.in.in  for 30 ports or about so, so that automated patching was
out of the question.

And also some major flamage directed at Ulrich Drepper, who was
`maintainer' or gettext for a looong while, but had a lot of trouble
letting go... that compounded with a shipped broken Makefile.in.in in his
latest version. That compounded with the DUMB way this part of
autoconf/automake/gettext/libtool/gnu operates, so that you are sure to
have to deal with the inadequacies of older versions basically FOREVER.

This stuff even contradicts the gnu coding standards, which are pretty
specific about DESTDIR.

And don't even get me started about Cygnus configure and all the gnu
packages, those that heed DESTDIR and those that don't.

This is one of those fun things you'll have to do to convert the NetBSD
ports to fake^Wstaged installs. Good luck... it took us quite a while,
but the OpenBSD tree proves it's feasible (and surprisingly enough, it's
not that hard.... just takes a heck of a long time, but it's worthwhile
as it uncovers lots of fun secondary issues).