Subject: Re: package work dirs and clean
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/21/2001 17:03:46
On Fri, 18 May 2001, Alistair Crooks wrote:

> On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 10:58:23AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> > 	One recurring problem with pkgsrc is that if work directories are
> > 	not cleaned a later build can end up {re,}installing an older
> > 	version, or in some other way causing chaos.
> >
> > 	Given the size of pkgsrc  and the scattering of work directories
> > 	it can take some considerable time to clean them all.
> >
> >         I always set WRKOBJDIR to /var/obj/pkg, and 'rm -rf' that as needed.
> >
> > 	A couple of random suggestions:
> >
> > 		a) Default WRKOBJDIR to something (${PKGSRCDIR}/obj?)
>
> Please remember that there are people who like having a read-only pkgsrc.
> I'd prefer it if the default was not under ${PKGSRCDIR}.

	We default to building under ${PKGSRCDIR} now, and while I always
	switch to /var/obj it could violate the POLS for people to find
	pkgsrc using somewhere else.
	Having said that I'd be very happy with ${PKGSRCDIR}/obj or
	/var/obj/pkg or anything similar :)

	The default
> > 		b) Have 'make extract' note the package version in
> > 		   ${WRKDIR}/.version, and the install refuse to run
> > 		   if they do not match?
>
> Nice idea - I think this would be a nice addition.

	Added to pkgsrc/TODO for now :)

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --